Need to file taxes in Canada?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

nkali

Need to file taxes in Canada?

Post by nkali »

Good afternoon,

I am posting as I am unsure if I need to file taxes in Canada. I was in the US on a business visa due to attending an international school prior to starting work in the US. Because of this, for the year 2017, I filed as a resident in the US as I met the substantial presence test and my Canadian accountant filed an exit return for me. For 2018, due to my visa status I no longer met the substantial presence test, and therefore I was recommended to file as a non-resident in the US by my US accountant, and did so. When speaking to my Canadian account he advised me that as I do not have ties and do not reside in Canada (and have already filed an exit return), I do not need to file taxes there. For 2019 again I will be filing as a resident of the US as I am now considered a resident on my visa.

Is this correct that I do not need to file taxes in Canada for 2018? Or because I filed as a non-resident in the US I am required to file as a resident in Canada?

Thank you for your help.