US visitor

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

rg1495

US visitor

Post by rg1495 »

My parents are Canadian Citizens while I live in US. Can they live in US with me for 6 months, go back to canada for a month to visit family and then come back to US for 6 months? Is that doable or you can't stay in US for such a long period of time
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

As long as they maintain Cdn residence available year round, they can visit you for 6 months at a time, return to canada even for one day and come back.

Two problems: doing so wil mean they lose thier medicare, and may make them taxable in US on their income.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
rg1495

Post by rg1495 »

Thanks nelsona. When you say "As long as they maintain a Cdn residence available year round"... they will be using my brother's address as they do not have a place of their own in canada. All the bank statements go to that address. They intend to mainly stay with me in US or come back and stay with my brother for a month in Canada. I know they will lose the OHIP coverage but the amount of money we spend in keeping a separate canadian home for them, we might as well spend that on their US health insurance which would cost $1000/month for 2 people. They don't have much income so taxes are not really an issue. My main concern is "will US immigration allow them to stay in US for 6 months, come back to canada for a month and then go back to US" or is it not a feasible solution.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I think I answered your question: If border agent suspects that they do not mainatin a place to live in Canada (and proof of that would be more than a bank statement -- you need a phone bill, a lease, utility bill, etc) they will not be let in even for one day.

If they can provide such proof, then they can stay, as I said, six months, go back to canada for one day, and come back again for another 6 months. They can even apply from weithin US for a six month extension as visitor.

The problem is not how long they will be in US, the problem is that they may have difficulty proving that they have a place in canada.

And on the medicare note. Merely paying for health insurance would not be their only medical payment, this would merely reduce their medical bills.

If they don't have much income, and you are willing to pay that much insurance, why not just buy a place in canada for investment and have them 'live' in it. I'm sure that would not cost you very much, you may even make money.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
rg1495

Post by rg1495 »

Thanks for your replies nelsona. I am a little confused about this statement...."And on the medicare note. Merely paying for health insurance would not be their only medical payment, this would merely reduce their medical bills".........besides the health insurance what other medical expenses will I have to incur?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

In the US, there are very few health insurance plans that cover 100% of expenses. They typically have a deductible, then you pay a percent of expenses, with a ceiling). And probably doesn't cover Rx. Any coverage better than this is going to cost you more than $1000/mo.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

... and don't forget that they are not entitled to 'snowbird' coverage like from Cdn blue cross. All those plans assume that you are maintaining Cdn residence, and only pay after the province has paid.