Spouse exemption on 1040NR

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

spocket

Spouse exemption on 1040NR

Post by spocket »

Hi

Sorry to ask again, I thought I found the answer to my own question before, but now I am confused again. I live in Canada, work in USA and my wife lives and works in Canada.

Can I check box 7b on the 1040NR to claim the exemption for my spouse?

The instructions seems to say "yes" if she had no gross income for US tax purpose. Since she only worked in Canada, I guess she doesn't? Unless they consider world income..

Thanks in advance..

Here's the instruction:

[i]"Residents of Mexico or Canada can also claim a personal exemption for your spouse if your spouse had no gross income for U.S. tax purposes and cannot be claimed as a dependent on another tax return."[/i]
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Yes.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
spocket

Post by spocket »

Thanks Nelson. This is great! this will yield me a good return since my employer was witholding based on a single exemption.

Will we have to apply for an ITIN for my wife then, if I claim her exemption?

For some reason, she's not too 'hot' about the idea.
spocket

Post by spocket »

One more easy question (hopefully the last): Assuming the situation above for the federal return (1040NR, claiming 2 exemptions), Is this the correct way to file for Michigan on MI-1040:

+ "Married filing separately" (box 7c)
+ NR (box 8b)
+ 2 exemptions for box 9a ("# of exemptions you claimed on your federal return")

Just wanted ot make sure it was not incorrect to file MFS while claiming an exemption for my spouse.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I wouldn't get too hung up on the WITHHOLDING forms, as they don't really mean anything in terms of your final TAX bill.

Regardless of how much or how little is withheld, you still have to file a tax return to figure what you ultimately owe.

I will say, that NR rates are usually the highest, so the more that is withheld now the bigger your refund will be.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
spocket

Post by spocket »

MI-1040 is not a witholding form.. That is the Michigan Tax Return declaration. Sorry if my request lacked of precision.

I want to make sure that I am filing in a coherent way for both FED and State returns, thus my precedent question.

thanks in advance.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I was commenting on your preceding post.

I don't generally delve into state matters....