US/Canada Returns

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

maricami

Post by maricami »

I don't think I can qualify for the PPT either because I moved back to Canada in July and this is less than 330 days in a foreign country. Am I missing something here ? I recall that you mentioned in several earlier posts that on the return year it is more advantageous to file a full year 1040 with form 2555 to exclude foreign wages, but the chances to be able to claim this exclusion are very slim. Maybe I don't understand, do you think I can qualify ?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

The procedure for filing 2555 for the year of departure is to file extension, such that you file your 2006 return, for example, AFTER you have met the presence test.

So, if you leave july 1, 2006, you would meet the test sometime in June 2007. You file your 2006 return after that date, when you have met the PPT. Your exemption for 2006 would be prorated.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
maricami

Post by maricami »

Got it !!! Thanks again Nelsona !