Reccomend Immigration Lawyer in LA?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Roger_maceachern

Reccomend Immigration Lawyer in LA?

Post by Roger_maceachern »

Hi All.

I'm a CDN living in Los Angeles. Recently married a US citizen and just getting around to looking into the green card application now.

Can anyone recommend a resonable immigration lawyer in LA? (or options?) I have already filled out most of the forms but would like to do a sanity check before filing.

Thanks.
flames9

Post by flames9 »

Hi, Im Cdn as well, living in USA on a CR-1 Visa. I did the process from Canada. Since your married, and in the USA, you will want to adjust of status (AOS). I dont know all the in and outs, but it can be tricky, and you may not even need a lawyer. It isnt that hard. Check out visajourney.com It has some excellent visa stuff for married people, mainly the K3 and the Cr-1/Ir-1. Are you on any type of Visa now? or just on a Tourist Visa?? If your down just on a tourist visa and you AOS, you may not be allowed to go back to Canada and enter the USA again, its all up to the POE officer as you re enter USA. That site I mentioned has lots of great info, check out the "sticky" at the top of the page, and you will want to look at the k3 and Cr-1 sections.
In regards to a lawyer, we used one from New York. Never actual lmet her. She was referrd to us from my Wifes old law firm. Did al our business through, fax, email and phone. She was superb. Not cheap, around $2000, plus all the Gov't filing fees. If its a straight forward case, as in no kids, you have NEVER had a criminal record(if you do, it can be a pain, and you will need to get fingerprinted, and the RCMP is taking about 6 months to do it), no overstays in USA, etc etc. If ya have any questions, dont be afraid to email me, I can pass on my immigration experience.. Che
Roger_maceachern

Post by Roger_maceachern »

I've been on a TN-1 visa for over 4 years (renewed every year). My wife was born in southern CA. We were married in CA last August. My TN expires in June.

Most of the forms seem straight forward. The Sponser App with the 3-yrs of tax related stuff is the tricky one. We meet the requirements, we just have to figure out the form.

Thanks.
Roger
flames9

Post by flames9 »

Is that the I-864, affadavit of Support document your talking about? All a pain in the butt. But that site I gave ya, has a great forum on Adjustment of Status. Everyone is pretty friendly. Cheers