Partnership income reporting

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

GlobalCitizen

Partnership income reporting

Post by GlobalCitizen »

This is a tax planning question.I'm a US Citizen living in Canada with my non-US spouse.We have talked about going into business together.

I understand the Canadian tax obligations, but what would be the US implications of us establishing a partnership in Canada? I have dealt with self-employment tax before, but it seems a partnership comes with a few more complexities.

Keep in mind, in the past it has always made sense for me to file my US tax return as MFS. I would prefer to keep it that way--if we filed jointly, there would be a few extra reporting forms I'd rather not have to deal with.
GlobalCitizen

Re: Partnership income reporting

Post by GlobalCitizen »

Mainly, I need to know if this would trigger an 8865 filing requirement... I am thinking no, since I would only have 50% ownership and my wife is not a US person, but is the establishment of a partnership a reportable event? This is not quite so clear to me from the instructions.