US Expropriation Tax Question

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

mtbbkr120

US Expropriation Tax Question

Post by mtbbkr120 »

Hello,

My wife and I are CAN citizens holding US green cards. We are considering moving back to Canada and had a few questions on the expropriation tax.

1) We've been in the US for 10 years (3 on L visa and 7 on Green Card), so 10 yrs of tax filing. Are we subject to file an 8854? Are we considered long term residents?

If we had a net worth of over 2 million.
1) Is that 2mil individual or per couple or each? Am I able to put some into my child's name who is under 18?
2) For a non-registered investment account, that was mostly cash (already paid capital gains). Will the cash be taxed again?

Basically, for cash US accounts that have already paid capital gains/ employment income tax. Will there be any fees/tax transferring it to the Canadian accounts (not including exchange), or can we just move the money freely between the them? Even if the dollar amount is high (+200k for example).

Thanks
nelsona

Re: US Expatriation Tax Question

Post by nelsona »

Expatriation tax.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
mtbbkr120

Re: US Expatriation Tax Question

Post by mtbbkr120 »

Apologies for the spelling mistake. Yes, I meant Expatriation tax.