Canadians with SSN filing for stimulus check.

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

nelsona

Canadians with SSN filing for stimulus check.

Post by nelsona »

As many here may be aware, some Cdn residents, who are NOT otherwise US tax persons, but who have US children,file a US tax return every year to get the US child tax credit.

I see no reason why any Cdn, with a SSN, could not file a 1040 for 2019 and receive a stimulus check.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Ron.Henderson

Re: Canadians with SSN filing for stimulus check.

Post by Ron.Henderson »

They are making this free money thing pretty damn easy for anyone with an SSN who hasn't been filing:

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/non-fil ... -info-here

Very simple to set up a Transferwise account for direct deposit.
migrant

Post by migrant »

nelsona wrote:
> As many here may be aware, some Cdn residents, who are NOT otherwise US tax
> persons, but who have US children,file a US tax return every year to get
> the US child tax credit.
>
Can you please elaborate on the above? if you have no US income to report how can you claim US child tax credit
exPenn

Post by exPenn »

I just noticed this post. Everything I read about the stimulus checks says that to be eligible, you must be "U.S. citizens, permanent residents or qualifying resident aliens". I assume this means that Canadian residents who are not (or are no longer) US citizens, are not eligible, even if they have a SSN, and a bank account registered with the SSA.
Or, am I missing something?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

First, migrant.

many Cdns with US children file for the child tax credit. It doesn't require US income. This has been the case for many years.

Expenn,
You seem to be asking two questions. 1. If you file a return and have an SSN, you would seem to be eligible.
And if you don't file a return, but collect SS, ie. receive a SSA-1099, you should also get the check.

Whether it is mailed or electronically deposited is a separate issue.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
exPenn

Post by exPenn »

Nelsona:
Canadians like my wife and I, resident in Canada, who Collect Social Security, but who are not US citizens, do not receive a SSA-1099. We receive a SSA-1042S. It contains the same information as the SSA-1099, but it is sent to non resident aliens. Since it is stated that you must be a US citizen, permanent resident or qualifying resident alien (of the US) to receive a stimulus check, I very much doubt that we will receive one.
bandana

Post by bandana »

Nelsona:

I have a child who is a US citizen for whom I would like to apply for the child tax credit. What is the procedure? (I am guessing form 8812 - but do my wife and I submit 1040NR showing no US income?)

Can I apply for past years?

Thanks
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You can try the 1040NR approach. You won't have any income to report ,so cannot get the Child tax credit, but should be able to get the ADDITIONAL child tax credit using form 8812. I think only one parent would need to apply. The child MUST have an SSN.
bandana

Post by bandana »

Nelsona, thanks for the reply.

It seems one needs to report $3,000 in US source income in order to quality for the Additional Child Tax Credit. So how do Canadians get around that one?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

By filing a 1040. Source of income is not important. You report world income on a 1040, and then use all the credits deductions, etc to reduce your US tax liability to zero. Most US tax filers living in Canada with no US income do not incur any US tax liability. Nor will you.

This is not a new concept.
Ron.Henderson

Post by Ron.Henderson »

Multiple reports now on various expat forums of non-resident US citizens (who have an SSN) using the simple "non-filer" form to receive their stimulus benefits paid directly into Transferwise US dollar accounts. So apparently that does work, even if they've never filed US tax returns in the past.