8938 - RRSPs and DB pension plan

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

MaggieA

8938 - RRSPs and DB pension plan

Post by MaggieA »

First time filing 8938 (and probably last, at least for a while, thanks to pandemic). It is quite clear that RRSPs and my spouse's DB pension plan have to be declared. My question is, are they "custodial" or "other"?

Just from the questions that come up in TurboTax, I'm thinking RRSPs probably fit "custodial" better.

As for the DB pension plan, it can be declared with "value" equal to the payments received during the year. It's hardly a custodial account (I suppose?) but if "other", what is it? Individual, Partnership, Corporation, Trust or Estate? Trust maybe? But then that seems to risk getting into topics I usually avoid like the plague, i.e. trusts and PFICs. Surely receiving payments from an ordinary Canadian DB pension plan shouldn't transform into this kind of thing?