Spousal RRSP

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

jfd5356

Spousal RRSP

Post by jfd5356 »

If my partner opens a Spousal RRSP for me and contributes to it, can I also contribute to the same one and use it as my RRSP, or do I need to open up a separate RRSP account?

Can you refer me to a website also?

Thx

jo
Carson

Post by Carson »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jfd5356</i>

If my partner opens a Spousal RRSP for me and contributes to it, can I also contribute to the same one and use it as my RRSP, or do I need to open up a separate RRSP account?

Can you refer me to a website also?

Thx

jo
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

You would open a separate account. They do this, amongst other reasons, so that spousal and personal contributions are kept separate, because the spousal amounts can be taxed in the hands of the contributor, depending on when they are withdrawn.

As to a webite, I suggest a Google search using the words "how rrsp contribution spouse".

/crh
jfd5356

Post by jfd5356 »

Thanks, Carson! Appreciate the help:)