Can you claim Canadian Taxes on Schedule A of Form 1040NR?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

bellemoj

Can you claim Canadian Taxes on Schedule A of Form 1040NR?

Post by bellemoj »

Hello,

I am a Canadian Citizen who commutes and works in the states. I was wondering if I can deduct Canadian Taxes that I paid from the previous year on Schedule A? For example: If I paid $500 in Canadian taxes in 2019 (all from Ontario Health Premium for the 2018 tax year) could I put that on my 2019 Schedule A tax return in the U.S. to reduce my taxes? Could I also deduct these taxes from my Michigan State tax return?
tchains

Re: Can you claim Canadian Taxes on Schedule A of Form 1040NR?

Post by tchains »

My understanding is you are not a US tax resident, so you wouldn't claim tax paid in other jurisdictions just as you wouldn't claim income in other jurisdictions as well.
nelsona

Re: Can you claim Canadian Taxes on Schedule A of Form 1040NR?

Post by nelsona »

Foreign taxes are not eligible for deduction on 1040NR. Some border states allow for provincial tax deduction/credit.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D