Tax on foreign investment income

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

hsampy

Tax on foreign investment income

Post by hsampy »

Hi,

I am a Canadian PR living in Canada. What are the tax implications of any profits over investments I make in a foreign country (non- US) when I decide to bring the investment(with profits) back to Canada?

Would this differ for US investments?

Thanks
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

There is no such thing as 'bringing back' profits to Canada or US. Profits earned ANYWHERE are taxable in your country of residence REGRDLESS of where they are earned or where you keep the money.

You cannot hide money. It is illegal.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
hsampy

Post by hsampy »

Ok, no, I wasnt planning on hiding any money.... :)

I was wondering if my country of citizenship, where the money would be invested, would be the place I have tax obligations for.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You may have tax obligations in the country of investment, but you would ALSO have tax obligation in Canada, regardless
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

...you could also have taxobligation in your country of citizenship, if, like for example US, your home country taxes you regardless of where you live.

I have seen to many posts where people mistakenly think that they aren't taxed in Canada or US unless they 'bring the money' into the country. This is a misconception.