Unemployment benefits for TN visa Job loss

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

NewCanadian

Unemployment benefits for TN visa Job loss

Post by NewCanadian »

I heard that if a TN visa holder loses job then unemployment benefits cannot be claimed in US but need to be claimed in Canada.

What is the process for claiming in Ontario?
nelsona

Re: Unemployment benefits for TN visa Job loss

Post by nelsona »

First you need to move back to Canada to being any EI/UI claim.
Once you do this you contact service Canada and they will instruct you, based on the province you move to an the state you worked in.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
NewCanadian

Post by NewCanadian »

Thank you.
Does the payment come from Ontario or US state I worked in?
Is that credited to my US bank account or need Canada bank for that?
adeboloj

Post by adeboloj »

@NewCanadian, a TN status is a temporary resident in the US, so if you are no longer working in the US then you should move back to Canada!
That is the rule of the TN visa, and as advised its the first step to take, once you are in your home province in Canada- you can then file for unemployment benefit from service Canada which will come from the government.
Alternatively, if you stay back in the US (probably not advisable), you might be lucky to get another job which you can switch to but with the COVID-19, it might be tough these days! A lot of US persons have lost their jobs!
If I were you, I will be heading back to Canada immediately!!!
Ron.Henderson

Post by Ron.Henderson »

EI would come from the federal government. Normally you need to have worked a certain number of weeks *in Canada* to qualify, but under wartime conditions they will be giving it to nearly everyone who asks, by the sounds of it. Still, you may not qualify.

You also need to look at your health insurance situation. If you've been gone too long from Ontario it may be a 6 month wait for OHIP, though I'd expect that to change as Canadians repatriate during a public health emergency. Presumably you no longer have health insurance in the US.

Right now I'd get my ass north of the border ASAP and deal with the fallout after.
Bubba Gums

Post by Bubba Gums »

There is a treaty between the US and Canada that provides reciprocity for Employment Insurance (Canada) / Unemployment insurance (US).

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-soc ... anada.html
Ron.Henderson

Post by Ron.Henderson »

Per that link:

If you work outside Canada for a Canadian company or the Canadian government, you are usually covered by EI. However, you will not be insured by the EI program if your job is covered by the country in which you are working.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

So, ignoring the previous post, you contact Service Canada, and they will instruct you, most likely coordinating a claim with te US state, paid by the US state. This can only be dome once you move back.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

.. ignoring the previous posy by Henderson. the link from bubba outlines the correct process.