Reporting RRSP's under $10,000

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

canuck

Reporting RRSP's under $10,000

Post by canuck »

My wife has RRSP's in Canada. This is our first year filing taxes in the US and I understand that they need to be declared on some form. I paid an H&R Block office to prepare my taxes for me and told them about the RRSP's... the guy said they didn't need to be declared because they were less than $10,000 in value.

Is this accurate or do they still need to be declared? What form(s) need to be filled out? The forms havn't been sent it yet because we needed a couple more receipts and I want to make sure everything is accurate.

Thanks!
canuck

Post by canuck »

I just read the thread RE: Form 8891 and I'm assuming this is the form that needs to be filled out. Am I also correct in assuming that the H&R Block guy was likely unaware of this form and that there is no $10,000 excemption (i.e. all RRSP's regardless of size need to be declared?)

Thanks.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You do not need to file the TD 90.. form if the total of all your foreign accounts <i>never</i> exceeded US$10K during 2004 (even for one day).

RRSPs however, even if they are for $100, each need to be reported on an 8891.

<i>nelsona non grata... and non pro</i>