Efiling Returns

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

jfd5356

Efiling Returns

Post by jfd5356 »

Since I'm a Landed Immigrant in Canada, and a US Citizen, I must file taxes in both Countries annually. My question is this:

Is there any software I can use to efile my US return from Canada? or will I be paper filing for life? lol

I have read in Pub 54 that 99% of all people can efile, in addition to those who live outside the USA. Is this true? If so, how does one go about efiling?

thx
jo
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

While the IRS may allow foreign e-filing, it appears that Turbotax does NOT handle your e-filing with a foreign address.

http://support.turbotax.com/turbotax/doc/0170000470

You might have to go to a professional preparer.

By the way the reverse situation is similar, except that it is CRA which does not accept e-filing for non-residents nor for foreign adresses. They MUST paper-file.

<i>nelsona non grata... and non pro</i>
jfd5356

Post by jfd5356 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nelsona</i>

While the IRS may allow foreign e-filing, it appears that Turbotax does NOT handle your e-filing with a foreign address.

http://support.turbotax.com/turbotax/doc/0170000470

You might have to go to a professional preparer.

By the way the reverse situation is similar, except that it is CRA which does not accept e-filing for non-residents nor for foreign adresses. They MUST paper-file.

<i>nelsona non grata... and non pro</i>
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Thanks for your answers:) Turbotax is the only one i've used and did find out that no efiling was allowed. Just seems some tax software company could come up with a way to efile since there are so many people living in other Countries and we're so global. Maybe one day:)

Thx
jo