Michigan Unemployment filing

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

rg1495

Michigan Unemployment filing

Post by rg1495 »

Hi,
I am a canadian citizen who lives in canada and commutes to work in michigan.......the week of christmas till new years, we are not allowed to work and that means I do not get paid by my company for that week. My US colleagues file for unemployment for this week.....Can I do the same?

Another issue is if I have my green card processing going on in US, will this unemployment filing create problems?

I went to the michigan unemployment filing website and they ask you for a reason to file unemployment?......my american colleagues use "laid off" for a week as the reason.....if I get laid for a week, would that be an issue with the green card processing?....they also ask for your Alien registration No. etc

Thank you much in advance for your help.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Since you do live in canada, you are eligible for UI in michigan.

Whewther or not they pay you for a 2-week lay-off depends on the local rules. If your work-mates get it, then you should too.

This does NOT impact your GC process. Depending on what work status you are in, you may wish to avoid crossing the border during your lay-off, if you are using TN or H1 status, you are technically out of status during the lay-off, and saying otherwise at border would be a lie.

If you are using AP/EAD, then you are fine.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D