Investment and taxes

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

davemet

Investment and taxes

Post by davemet »

I'm a canadian presently working in the US on a TN visa. I would like to invest in the US but saw some post mentioning issues with US vs. Canadian address once you move back. I want to buy Mutual Funds in the US but would like to leave them in the US if I move back to Canada. Can I do it? Any other purchasing options within the US? If I move back to Canada, I would probably want to retire in the US and would prefer my investment to be in US dollars.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

If you are living in US (on TN) you are free to deal with any dealer/broker licensed in your state of residence.

Once you leave, however, you would not be able to do so (especially for non-retirement accounts).

Some broker/delaers may allow you to keep your accounts frozen in US, . most though, would ask that you move your business elsewher. For stocks that would mean either transferring or selling. For mutuals, it would mean selling.

BTW, if you plan on living in US at retirement, I trust you are taking steps with your employer now to sponsor you for a green card, as without this you will not be able to live in US on any long-term basis upon retiring, and would need to maintain Cdn residence.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

... and in terms of investment, In the past 3 years US invest,ents have bben outperformed by Cdn and European by a wide margin.

You are already heavily invested in US (with your job, and perhaps your house). Diversify.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
davemet

Post by davemet »

Thanks for your advices. I'm looking into converting this TN into a GC but still try to leave my options open. I got some questions on that too but will post them in the right section!