A Question of Moderation

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Norbert Schlenker

A Question of Moderation

Post by Norbert Schlenker »

Lately, the forum has been getting the occasional bits of spam. Some get tacked onto existing threads (see http://forums.serbinski.com/viewtopic.php?p=7532#7532 for example). Some are their own threads (see http://forums.serbinski.com/viewtopic.php?t=1943 for example).

My opinion is that posts like this detract from the purpose of the forum. I would like to suggest to Mark that posts like those should be deleted (or moved off to a spam forum if you believe that even spam is free speech and deserves an audience) and, if the problem recurs, that the posters be banned.

I realize that Mark is a busy guy and may not have time for this. Perhaps someone else who monitors the site regularly - nelsona is the obvious candidate, I would support having him as moderator, but of course I can't volunteer him for the duty - could be appointed as an additional moderator to sweep up this dreck.

Just my opinion. Other thoughts welcomed.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I don't know what your point is Norbert.

There have been a half-dozen of these posted every day for the past month or so. So the moderators HAVE removed most if not all of them, and in a quite timely fashion at that. I think you'll find that these members are being deleted

The real issue is the software which permits new members to join without much safeguards. but, barring that, I don't see what more the moderators can do.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Norbert Schlenker

:oops:

I guess the point is that I don't check in often enough to see the deleted spam.

:oops:
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You have not missed much, believe me!
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Adam - Admin

Post by Adam - Admin »

The spambots have become very prolific lately. We have been taking action to deal with the problem, such as banning certain email domains, such as those ending in ".ru". In addition, the board has just been upgraded (today) to the newest version, which adds a visual confirmation for registration. This will hopefully stop the spambots. If it doesn't, we will be switching to moderated registration.
Norbert Schlenker

Speaking of spam, almost 2000 of the current registered members have registered only to game search engines. Take a look through the membership list for those who have websites in their profiles but have never posted once.

Leaving those links intact is an advertisement for spam. Leaving them intact makes it more likely that this board will be passed around among spammers as "an easy mark".
Adam - Admin

Post by Adam - Admin »

Believe it or not, some people actually have websites. Using zero posts and a website as a filter to delete records could affect legitimate users, particularly ones who just recently registered.

I will be filtering the user database, but with something a little more clear, like by website and email registration. There are NO legitimate users with a .ru email address.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Since one can always read all messages on these boards without logging in, I don't see the harm deleting users that have never posted.

If they really eventually want to post, they can re-apply.

But, in the long run, moderated enrollment would be best.
Adam - Admin

Post by Adam - Admin »

I've just done about as much cleaning of the member list as I'm willing to do. We will see if the visual confirmation is enough to stop the spambots.
Mark T Serbinski CA CPA
Site Admin

Spam

Post by Mark T Serbinski CA CPA »

We have taken every effort to remove all spam from this forum. Our efforts include a new registration process which required a copy of an image file (which spambots have trouble using), restriction of access from IP addresses which have generated spam, etc.

If you see spam on any of our forums, please report it to me, and we will take every effort to remove it ASAP.
Mark