Implications to US employer?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

hsampy

Implications to US employer?

Post by hsampy »

I am a recent landed immigrant to Canada. I work mostly from home but am on H1 for the odd times I need to travel to client sites.

What are the implications to my company of my living in Canada? Do they need to do anything from their end? My payroll deducts US taxes. Now, my company is very small and has outsourced HR to a third company which does my payroll. I know the third party company does have operations in Canada and this third company is considered "employer of record", not sure exactly what that means.

Should I be advising my company of any actions they need to take?

Thanks
sampath
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Assuming you do all your work for the US firm while in US, there is nothing more for them to do.

If you work out of your home in canada however, they should be paying you asa Cdn employee, deducting Cdn/Prov taxes and CPP/EI.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
hsampy

Post by hsampy »

hmm, what happens if my company does not have Canadian operations currently? thanks!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Then they must set up a payroll for you. Or pay you as a contractor.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D