Deemed Disposition

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

dan_tax1

Deemed Disposition

Post by dan_tax1 »

I moved in 2004 to the US and have a large capital loss as a deemed disposition only. I purchased the stock in 2003/2004, but have a longer term focus than the date I departed. [8]

I want to sell in the US in some later years and use the actual purchase cost as the cost basis. I don't want to be considered having sold and reacquired the stock when I left the country. This rule seems short sighted.

Do I have to file the deemed disposition form if I have a large deemed loss? Also, I was in Canada for under a year since last being a US resident. Maybe the deemed disposition doesn't apply?
[8]
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

By IRS rules, US does not recognize the deemed dispo, so you are quite allowed to use your normal cost basis when you sell.

The US and Canada have simply agreed that the deemed dispo price <i>can be used</i> by the US taxpayer, if it is advantageous to him.

But for Cdn purposes, you really have no choice, as it is a reporting requirement (remember the assets on departure form, too) and does not harm you in any way.

The cap loss will be carried forward when/if you return to Canada.

<i>nelsona non grata... and non pro</i>
dan_tax1

Post by dan_tax1 »

Can they tell you to be more conservative in your investments?
I'm also worried about the embarassment factor of having a big stock loss on paper.
MaggieA

Post by MaggieA »

Dan, thanks for the smile your post brought to me. [:)]

I expect the folks at CCRA and IRS have seen much bigger losses than yours and are utterly indifferent to you as a person. It's a little bit crazy to feel <i>embarrassed!</i> You're just one case among zillions.