Restricted Stock Units

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

stewak2

Restricted Stock Units

Post by stewak2 »

Dual USC/Canadian citizen.
Canadian resident commuting to work in USA.
Awarded Restricted Stock Units - tax implications.
RSU = units of company stock that vest in future. I.E., in 2 years I get 'x' units and 2 years later 'x' more units, at whatever the price is at the time.
I assume I would just treat this as employement income in the years the stock is actually received ('x' units at current price)?
Any CCRA or IRS implications?
No tax due until actually awarded? - obviously if I leave the company or die before vesting they are not awarded.
Thanks in advance.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

CRA and IRS do not have the same rules for options.

Genarally, in canada you MUST declare the option as income in the year you exercise it.

In US, you have a choice to make, particularly with restricted stock. You may wish to base your choice on meshing tax credits, particularly the US tax you can use on your cdn return.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
stewak2

Post by stewak2 »

Year excercised = year vested? Or year awarded?
These are not options - basically awards of fixed number of units at some time in future ( when vested).

Assuming so, I pay CCRA & IRS based on market value at that time, and then later when stock is actually sold, I have a gain/loss based on the market value at time vested?
i.e vest at $50, x*50 = employment income in year of vesting,
sell 2 years later at $60, capital gain of x*10?
stewak2

Post by stewak2 »

I guess I should be clear, what I fear is paying tax in year of award, but then leaving company employment before vesting and never actually receiving the stock.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Generally in US, if you elect to include the income in the year it is awarded, and then 'lose' the stock, it becomes a capital loss in that year.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D