Form 2555

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

gdcinbc

Form 2555

Post by gdcinbc »

In filing out this form somewhere I read in the instructions that Corporate profits are not to be included as reportable income on this form. In my example I am a PR in canada, US citizen, I have a canadian corp and take a salary of $75000, I also take dividends each year of say $20,000; I am wondering if those Corp dividends need to be reported? or am I trying to make the wording work to my benefit!

Cheers
Carson

Post by Carson »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by gdcinbc</i>

In filing out this form somewhere I read in the instructions that Corporate profits are not to be included as reportable income on this form. In my example I am a PR in canada, US citizen, I have a canadian corp and take a salary of $75000, I also take dividends each year of say $20,000; I am wondering if those Corp dividends need to be reported? or am I trying to make the wording work to my benefit!

Cheers
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

As a US citizen, you must report 100% of your world income on your 1040. What the 2555 instructions are saying is that your dividends do not qualify for the FEIE. Instead, you will have to claim a FTC on the 1040 for the Canadian tax paid on the dividends. Note, for US purposes, you only report the "cash" dividend, not the "grossed up dividend" that goes on your T1 return.

Also, be sure to file a Form 5471 with your 1040 to report your ownership of a Controlled Foreign Corp, i.e. your Canadian corp.

Regards,

CRH