IRS Form 2555 + Foreign Earned Income + type of visa?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Cangrad

IRS Form 2555 + Foreign Earned Income + type of visa?

Post by Cangrad »

I'm a U.S. citizen who's been continuously living, studying, and working in Canada since 2011. I first entered Canada on a Study Permit, then extended the Study Permit, then got a Post-Graduate Work Permit, and now while still on my PGWP, have received a provincial nomination and have applied for Canadian Permanent Residence. Every year since 2011, I've been filing IRS Form 2555-EZ and claiming FEIE by virtue of being a bona fide resident of Canada. For tax yr. 2019, the IRS has discontinued Form 2555-EZ, and now I must file the long Form 2555.

Part II of Form 2555 asks me when my bona fide residency began and when it ended (or continues), wants to know my housing situation and whether I pay income taxes to Canada, and then on Line 15 b asks, " Enter the type of visa under which you entered the foreign country".

How should I answer this? Should I enter "Study Permit" which is the permit I had back in 2011 when I first entered the country and my "bona fide" residency began, or should I enter "Post-Graduate Work Permit' which is the permit I hold right now?

I've read the Form 2555 instructions and Pub. 54 and even watched the IRS video on Foreign Earned Income Exclusion, and have not found an answer to this question. I even called the IRS this morning, and it appears they will no longer answer questions regarding this form (at least by phone).

Any help anyone can provide will be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!
nelsona

Re: IRS Form 2555 + Foreign Earned Income + type of visa?

Post by nelsona »

It really doesn't matter. Put student or the other one. You are merely indicating that you are in Canada legally.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Cangrad

Re: IRS Form 2555 + Foreign Earned Income + type of visa?

Post by Cangrad »

Thank you! I think then that I'll just go with "Study Permit" for this line since that's what I had when I first entered the country and when I'm claiming that my bona fide residency began.