Canadian married to US citizen in 2004 - taxes

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Deen

Canadian married to US citizen in 2004 - taxes

Post by Deen »

I'm a Canadian citizen who is still a resident but am planning to move to the US where my spouse, a US citizen, resides and works. I've been finding out how to file my Canadian taxes for 2004. I understand that I need to report my husband's income on my Canadian tax form. What do I put for his SIN? Can this be filed online as I've done in previous years...??? Also, for US taxes, what are the considerations in filing MFS or MFJ...??? Thanks in advance.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

"I understand that I need to report my husband's income on my Canadian tax form".

Only on the front page. You don't need an SIN to do this. Your goal is merely to ensure that you don't get any 'benefit' from CRA thinking he has no income (ie spousal deduction).

As to online filing, it depends on the software: if it kicks you out (ie. for no SIN), then file on paper. Don't bother trying to get a tax number for him.

As to MFS and MFJ, you might want to read up on IRS website. Generally, couples are penalized if they don't file jointly (higher tax rates, lower thresholds for loss of deductions. etc).

<i>nelsona non grata... and non pro</i>
Deen

Post by Deen »

OK...thanks.

In this case, what about the considerations for MFJ vs MFJ with FEIE? What should we look out for when filing one verses the other?

Continuing to read...[:p]
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I've dealt witrh this several times on this board

<i>nelsona non grata... and non pro</i>