Can someone help with form 8891?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

cfr

Can someone help with form 8891?

Post by cfr »

I moved to the U.S a couple of years ago. Before I left, my accountant had filed a Rev Proc 2002-23. I didn't file the 8891 since I've been here and want to do a 1040-x and submit them. I have read many many articles in this forum on the form but I don't understand some of the entries. I am assuming, I'm a beneficiary and not an annuitant and I should check that I've already made an election under Article XVIII(7)?

That is where I'm stuck. It's one simple RRSP valued at $8K CDN with marginal gains. Do I basically put the year-end value in number 8 and that's it?

Any help would be appreciated....

Thanks, Chris
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You check you are beneficiary, check Yes for previous election put the year you first used 2002-23, and you write the year-end value on line 8.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
cfr

Post by cfr »

Thanks for the response.