Canadian newborn considered US Dependant?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Goodlife

Canadian newborn considered US Dependant?

Post by Goodlife »

I moved back to Canada after 6+ years in the US in 2004. I have had a green card for a few years, and met the "green card" test for tax purposes for 2004. After moving back to Canada, we had a baby (also in 2004). My question is, for 2004 US taxes, would I be able to claim the child as a US dependant (and get a temporary tax id # for her)?

I know for immigration purposes, the green card is considered "abandoned" after 6 months outside of the US (unless you ask for an extension, which I did not). Our baby was born about 3 months after coming to Canada.

I have heard that the green card is different for immigration and tax purposes. Also, I have not "used" the green card since I've been back in Canada (i.e. I haven't crossed the border with it).

Thanks for any help
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

The IRS doesn't view a GC as abandonned until you formally do so, and so does expect you to continue to file a 1040 until such time as your card is officially rescinded.

Your child is a dependant of course, and is entitled to an ITIN (actually, all Cdn children are, it's just that most of their parents aren't filing a US tax return).

Too bad s/he wasn't born in US, then the kid could go back to US anytime they want (and eventually file their own 1040[:o)])

<i>nelsona non grata... and non pro</i>
Goodlife

Post by Goodlife »

This is true, but I was getting relocated by my company to our CDN office, and, due to the impending birth, either had to move a few months before, or many months after (who wants to move/buy a new house with a newborn??). It took a long time for me to get the company to agree for the move, so once they agreed, I took the money and ran. [:D]

Since I already mailed my US taxes (I didn't even think it was possible for her to be a dependant until recently), I will have to complete form W-7 (Application for IRS ITIN) and send an ammendment...?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

W-7 will have to be sent <b>WITH THE 1040-X</b>, as the IRS does not accept W-7's by themselves anymore.

Goodlife

Post by Goodlife »

Right - but since my 1040 is in the mail as we speak, can't I send a complete ammended 1040 with the newly attached W-7 (and claiming a new dependant), or am I now screwed?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Read my post.

I said attach it to 1040-X, that is the amending document.

I would now wait a couple of weeks to do this, since you don't want to amend something that is not in the system yet.

Goodlife

Post by Goodlife »

Ah, sorry - didn't understand the X. [:I]

The fun part is that I was able to get my returns back from the post office (they hadn't been mailed yet). Who would have thought that could happen?!? [8D] So I will make the change and attach the W-7.

Thanks for your help.