Cash gift from Canada

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Skoorb

Cash gift from Canada

Post by Skoorb »

Hi, I hope everyone is doing well these days!

Quick Q: My wife and I are perm residents in the US and may receive a sizeable cash gift from a Canadian living in Canada. I understand that neither party is subject to any gift tax because a) Gift taxes are applied to the donor, not the donee and b) Canada has no gift tax (so, no donor worries). Ergo, this money is _free and clear_ with zero tax implications for either party. Is that the case?

Also, if it's in the form of a certified check and we drop that into our US account here, will IRS come knocking next year wondering where that money came from? Do we need to note it anywhere on our tax return. Presumably not, but how else, other than monitoring donee accounts, would IRS ever be able to know who a cash gift came from, besides asking the donee who gave it to them?

Thanks! :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

There is nothing to report on this transaction.

Since it is a check, the banks will take care of any reporting that is required (for anti-money laundering purposes). Thta is all.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Carson

Re: Cash gift from Canada

Post by Carson »

Skoorb wrote:Hi, I hope everyone is doing well these days!

Quick Q: My wife and I are perm residents in the US and may receive a sizeable cash gift from a Canadian living in Canada. I understand that neither party is subject to any gift tax because a) Gift taxes are applied to the donor, not the donee and b) Canada has no gift tax (so, no donor worries). Ergo, this money is _free and clear_ with zero tax implications for either party. Is that the case?

Also, if it's in the form of a certified check and we drop that into our US account here, will IRS come knocking next year wondering where that money came from? Do we need to note it anywhere on our tax return. Presumably not, but how else, other than monitoring donee accounts, would IRS ever be able to know who a cash gift came from, besides asking the donee who gave it to them?

Thanks! :D
No tax to you, likely same to donor (maybe kiability if assets sold to get the cash first, and there are accrued capital gains).

If gift exceeds USD $100,000 (2006 rate), you will likely have to report receipt of gift on IRS Form 3520 (check online instructions for more details).
Carson

Post by Carson »

See:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i3520.pdf

That word above should be "liability" - and I meant for the donor, not for you the recipient.
Skoorb

Post by Skoorb »

Thanks, both of you!