Currency cap gains tax impact on US return?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

fangle

Currency cap gains tax impact on US return?

Post by fangle »

I’m dual citizen, Canadian resident.

I am wondering if a Canadian cap gains tax incurred due to currency fluctuations has an impact on my US return?

In my case, the investment was a USD debenture purchased with USD in 2012 when the exchange was close to par and redeemed in 2018 when USD was higher. I learned about, then reported and paid the cap gains tax on the difference in exchange on my Canadian return. On my draft US return, I have reported the sale but since it was purchased and redeemed for the same value in USD, it has no impact as far as I can see. I’m now trying to determine if I should be entering anything regarding the Canadian cap gains tax on the foreign tax credit section (form 1116) of my US return?

I don’t have any US taxes due as all of my income is excluded foreign wages save for a small amount of interest, but would like to understand what is correct in any case.

Cheers
nelsona

Re: Currency cap gains tax impact on US return?

Post by nelsona »

There is no currency issue on your 1040. The tax you paid in Canada can be used on a passive income 1116, carried forward perhaps for future years, but there will be no credit that year, from what you say.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
fangle

Re: Currency cap gains tax impact on US return?

Post by fangle »

Thank you. I've added the Canadian tax to the passive income section of my form 1116 for the carry forward. Appreciate it.