Joint Bank accounts and FBAR

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

cat

Joint Bank accounts and FBAR

Post by cat »

My son is a Dual citizen resident of Canada and is compliant with his tax returns on both sides of the border including FBAR. He is asking me if having a joint account with his girlfriend will complicate his tax reporting.

I believe that another bank account means more reporting and record-keeping but more importantly requires him to share his girlfriend's personal information.

Are there any strategies for saving between couples that will avoid having a Non-US citizen being implicated in the reporting.
nelsona

Re: Joint Bank accounts and FBAR

Post by nelsona »

It isn't much of a reporting issue, 3 more lines on FBAR, and her ID would be her Cdn SIN, if that.
The alternative is no joint account. FBAR and FATCA are there for a reason, if your boy could easily circumvent it, so could those they are trying to catch.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D