J1 visa and unpaid (?) taxes

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

frankie92

J1 visa and unpaid (?) taxes

Post by frankie92 »

Hi All,

I was working in the States in the past 5 summers on J1 visa, being a part of a popular work and travel programme.

During 2015-2018 my paychecks were never taxed. I always filled out my W-4 form however my employer never withheld any money from my paycheck. I used to think that I am exempt from tax purposes since I am on that kind of programme. Summer 2019 was the first year where they told me that my paycheck will be lower due taxes. I only paid state tax this year, no federal, Medicare and social security.

I'm waiting for my W-2 form to send my tax papers to IRS, however I am being worried that it will be a problem that I never claimed my income from 2015-2018.

I'm scared always that it may have impact on my future visits in the States. Could you please advise whether I should be worry about it?

Thank you so much for your help,

Frank