Working in US on work visa beyond age 65

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

NewCanadian

Working in US on work visa beyond age 65

Post by NewCanadian »

Canadian citizen. Came to US few years ago on TN visa from employer.On US payroll currently.
Continuing renewal of TN visa every 3 years.

Few years down the road, I will be retiring at age 65 from my employer.

My employer is happy with my work and has suggested me that I can work as a contract or agency worker after age 65.

I like working. Good job and very good pay. But when searched on internet, no information is available for any work visa beyond age 65.

Is such employment possible?
nelsona

Re: Working in US on work visa beyond age 65

Post by nelsona »

TN has no age limit. You can work as a contractor or for an agency under TN.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
NewCanadian

Post by NewCanadian »

Thank you.
Can I get medicare after age 65 by paying for part B, D & supplement or Medigap?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

If you qualify for Medicare part A (ie, 40 quarters of SS contributions) you can then apply for whatever other parts of the system you wish.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
NewCanadian

Post by NewCanadian »

Would it be possible to live in Canadian border town closer to grand kids, drive to US to work after age 65, avail medicare across the border while maintaining a small rental apartment in US and continue to be Canadian tax non resident at the same time and continue to file 1040 while filing NR6 for Canadian rental properties?
No green card so plan to work on US until age of 69 before retiring to Canada.