Canadian (in Canada) receiving dividends in the U.S.

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Moving2Canada

Canadian (in Canada) receiving dividends in the U.S.

Post by Moving2Canada »

I live and work in Canada (self-employed). I would like to invest in a U.S. company and receive profits in the form of dividends (or other). What type of company (S-Corp, etc.) should I request my U.S. associates to set up to receive my Canadian investment (would be made in U.S. dollars but coming from Canada, obviously).

Is there a better structure that I am not yet considering?

Thank you.
Moving2Canada

Re: Canadian (in Canada) receiving dividends in the U.S.

Post by Moving2Canada »

I found this...

"To receive pass-through profit distributions, a foreign citizen may form a limited liability company. In contrast, all profit distributions (called dividends) made by a C corporation are subject to double taxation. (Under US tax law, a nonresident alien may own shares in a C corporation, but may not own any shares in an S corporation.) For this reason, many foreign citizens form a limited liability company (LLC) instead of a corporation."

It sounds like the only options would be 1) invest in a C-Corporation or 2) invest in an LLC instead of a corporation.

Are dividends in Canada received from a US C-Corporation (subject to double taxation) able to claim a foreign tax credit?

Are dividends in Canada received from a US LLC taxed in the U.S. or Canada?