filling taxes no status

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

divina

filling taxes no status

Post by divina »

hi, i lost my status in canada 2004, worked in worked full time in 2003 didnt file for taxes in 2004 until now, but now i have a son, my husband in a canadian and we want to file taxes next year as married with child......... submitted application to immigration have not heard from them since, my husband has filed for all his taxes on time every year, i have not in the last 3 years.... WHAT DO I DO????
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Your immigration status has nothing to do with your tax filing status. It depends on where you areliving, what kind of income you make, and whether or not you areentitled to certain benefits.

You may file a tax return. It is between you and husband as to who clims the children for tax purposes. he may already be doing so.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
divina

Post by divina »

so i guess my next question is do i get any penalties for not filing my taxes in 3 years???. i havenot worked or gone to school since???
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

In canada -- and US -- you are only penalized for not filing if you actually owe money.

You clearly do not, unless you have a major investment portfolio.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D