Revenue Canada Not accepting my Foreign Tax Claim

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

nelsona

Re: Revenue Canada Not accepting my Foreign Tax Claim

Post by nelsona »

Not confused. Try it and report back to us. That would giving back to this board.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
MsTunnelCoin762

Post by MsTunnelCoin762 »

Per the IRS site (https://www.irs.gov/individuals/taxpaye ... mataddress):

If you have an international mailing address, the only IRS.gov tool for which you can register is the Online Payment Agreement and you must request an activation code by postal mail. Generally, taxpayers or tax professionals with international addresses will be unable to register for Get Transcript Online, View Your Tax Account, Get an Identity Protection PIN or e-Services tools for tax professionals.
elgoog

Post by elgoog »

[quote=okinawafl post_id=526126 time=1626823535 user_id=12100]
I am sorry if I confuse you.
for FTC, CRA has accepted the refund as one of the proof.

But I still wan to sign up IRS online service but I didn't try before so just wondering how it works.

Thanks.
[/quote]

Hi okinawafl,

I was in the same situation as you last year. I have a US based number but phone registration did not work for me and I had to go the mail route. You could try getting a Google Voice number and see if that works (I am not sure it will but you could try).

You can try signing up using your Canadian address but they have to send you an access token for your initial login and unfortunately, that takes a couple weeks to get to Canada. The expiry date for the token is 2 weeks. I tried this a couple of times but the access token had expired by the time I received the letter.

I eventually ended up using my relative's address in the U.S. since I living there while temporarily in the U.S. and the IRS had that address on file. IRS sent the access code there within a week and I was able to sign up. Once I was signed up, I changed all my information to reflect my Canadian address, etc.
okinawafl

Post by okinawafl »

Thanks a lot for sharing the information.
akumar

Post by akumar »

I called the CRA and the review was handled by a senior agent and resolved. All documents were accepted in the end.

pencileveryone wrote:
> Hello akumar,
>
> I was wondering what happened to your situation in the end? I am in a
> similar situation. Just received a letter from CRA to show 'proof of
> payment' (IRS Account Transcript) for the foreign tax paid, yet IRS has not
> received/processed my paper-filed return yet (had to file by paper as
> spouse is a NRA and did not have a SSN). How did you proceed in this case?
okinawafl

Post by okinawafl »

Just want to share a recent experience on getting transcript from IRS.

Since I finally can't set up the IRS online account successfully, I googled and went to the link :
https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript
I select the "get transcript by mail" and filled up the required information (SSN, DOB,address and postal code), then select type of transcript and it said that will mail around 5-10 days
okinawafl

Post by okinawafl »

Just an update. After I applied online at https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript
I have received the transcripts from IRS by mail (to Canada).

The actual refund amt from IRS is more than the refund amt in 1040NR tax return, and the transcript show that it is interest credit by IRS. Not sure why IRS give me but since the amount is not big, I will just include it to my 2021 U.S. and Canada tax returns.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You would, as you say need to include the IRS interest paid to you on your 2021 Cdn return. If you are still filing 1040NR for 2021, you do not report interest, as a non-resident.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D