Would US/NY state refunds be different if I changed 1040/IT201 to 1040NR and IT203?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

tpho67

Would US/NY state refunds be different if I changed 1040/IT201 to 1040NR and IT203?

Post by tpho67 »

My previous accountant decided not to report my foreign income to CRWould US/NY state returns be different if I changed 1040/IT201 to 1040NR andA without consulting me. I have since found someone else to handle my taxes. I will be filing an amended return for 2018. In 2018 I had only US income and while I travelled back home to Canada on a weekly or bi-weekly basis, I spent most of my days in NY. However, I still have significant ties to Canada so I would not be considered a non-resident. I have a home/mortgage and family living in this home who I would visit. My bank accounts here are still active. I've since returned back to Canada for work.

Amending the 2018 return, I have a significant amount to pay to the CRA.
My only question is - is it worth amending my US returns? I only received about 500 (USD) from the federal refund and about 700 (USD) from the state refund so I am a bit confused about why I still have a significant amount of tax to pay here. The foreign tax credits have certainly been applied.
I am wondering if it's worth it to amend my US returns and filing as a non-resident in the US, hopefully receiving a bigger refund to help me pay the CRA here.

Thanks in advance.