RC268 - How ti fill

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

prabjotk

RC268 - How ti fill

Post by prabjotk »

Hi, I am filling the RC268 form for the first time and very confused with below:
Amount of contributions that would qualify for tax relief in the U.S. if you were a resident of the U.S. and performed your services in the U.S.

where can I find this amount on my return or W2? It must be a basic question but I would really appreciate someone's help on this.

Also I haven't figured out any of the next sections in the form yet so please suggest what else I would need to fill from my US return. I only have income in US and not in Canada.

Thanks in advance!
prabjotk

Re: RC268 - How ti fill

Post by prabjotk »

Can someone please help me with this query.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

This is the maximum you can contribute to your, say, 401(K) or 403(b) per year.
For example, In 2018, you could have contributed up to $18,500 to your 401(k), $24,500 if you were over 50 yrs old.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

So, you would indicate your contributions, which would be on your W-2. Your employer would typically not allow you to contribute more than the allowable amount.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
prabjotk

Post by prabjotk »

thank you so much!
prabjotk

Post by prabjotk »

So I am filling this form for 2017 as I missed it and CRA is asking me to send it now. I see that the limit for 2017 is 18000 so I will put this amount in 2nd line of first section (Amount of contributions that would qualify for tax relief in the U.S. if you were a resident of the U.S. and performed your services in the U.S.)

And in the first line I will put the actual amount from my W2

Correct.