RRSP redemptions and 1040

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Posts: 16455
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:33 pm
Location: Nowhere, man

Post by nelsona » Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:40 pm

72(w) only applies to employment compensation arrangements, as the wording in 575 implies.

RRSP contributions are not made based on "services performed", they are made by you, regardless of whether you performed services or not.

The limits are based on earned income, which might include, but is not limited to, employment income.

To illustrate, a 401(K), or a cash balance pension account, or several other 'pension-type' can only be funded through employment plans ("service rendered"). These, if funded for foreign service, would fall under this provision.

And I have already explained for several other treaty-based positions, a Cdn citizen cannot be held to a higher standard that a US citizen thus any references to "nonresident alien" cannot be applied to Cdns who lived in Canada, since they can't be applied to US citizens who lived in Canada.

<i>nelsona non grata... and non pro</i>

Post Reply