3520 (2003) form ... again ...

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Russ

3520 (2003) form ... again ...

Post by Russ »

Well I thought my accountant had put in the form, but they haven't yet as there's 2 things that's giving them grief.

1. They want me to fill in trivial answers in Part 1 (I had left them blank) such as 6a/b/c, 11a - no, 13 - no.

I had not filled in those answers as I see in the instructions that Part I is only filled out for a 'reportable event'. And I see that a 'reportable event' doesn't apply for me as I didn't create it in 2003, didn't xfer any money, and I didn't die (or inherit it). This was an RRSP set up way be in the early 90's and this would be the first time I would be reporting it to the US.

Am I correct that I don't fill in Part 1 as there was no reportable event in 2003?

2. In Part II, line 22, it says: Did the foreign trust file Form 3520-A for the current year?

I had checked NO. And I know from this forum that I don't want to go down the 3520-A road. So what to do?

Choose YES and you had to file a 3520-A. Choose NO and they want you to put in a 3520-A.

Thx. for any help on this.