What States am I responsible to Pay Taxes in?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

pbear95

What States am I responsible to Pay Taxes in?

Post by pbear95 »

Hello,

Originally on TN, now Permanent Resident - I am a Regional Sales Manager and work in Multiple States; WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, CA, NV, HI.

My employer is located in MN. I spend 2 weeks a month in CA and 1 week in Canada and the balance of my time in the other States. Am I responsible to pay state tax in each individual state or just Fed Tax.

Perm res is in CA (Actually have two residences, 1 in CA and 1 in Canada) I pay full Canada & BC Tax but need to know if I should be paying each individual State or just Fed?

Thanks for your assistance,
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Knowing the agressivity of CA, you are no doubt on the hook for full CA taxation because of your residence there.

Each state would determine whether work done in its state is taxable. Any stae tax you do pay would likely be a credit on your CA return.

You are, in effect, like a hockey player living in CA, required to fill out a score of state tax returns.

The state tax laws are too varied for me to bother looking into.

<i>nelsona non grata</i>