Can Citizen on TN (Perm job offer)

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

hi_bonjour

Can Citizen on TN (Perm job offer)

Post by hi_bonjour »

Hi,
A company is offering me a permanent job in US. I am a canadian citizen. THe job designation is "Technical Project Manager"

My questions:

1. What steps I WOULD NEED TO take for tax /RRSP/RESP purposes?
2. I have an incorporation holding some money but no other income. Do I need to close this inc?
3. Can I take my 1996 Plymouth Voyager to US?

Thanks,
Gary
Pamela

Post by Pamela »

I can help with two of your questions. The RESP is not recognized in the USA, and they will require you to pay tax on any gains. The best thing there would be to transfer the subscriber's name to a trusted relative who will stay in Canada. There are complicated rules in the treatment of RRSPs as well, and there is quite a lot of information below and at the old "read only" site called grasmick, tax and financial. We had self-directed plans with TD Waterhouse, and the international advisors there were quite helpful. Exactly what you do depends on what kind of plans you have.

Regarding your car, you can bring it across by importing it. Again, more info on that is available at the old "read only" site on grasmick, immigration.

There is only one problem - you cannot just accept a permanent job. You have to be qualified for the correct visa, and visas are temporary. Get a lawyer to advise you, and do read up about it.