Maintain Status

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

njdude26

Maintain Status

Post by njdude26 »

I need to understand something. I have stayed outside canada for the last 2 years. I have a PR card. So to maintain status i need to be in Canada for atleast 2/5 years. So i just have one more year before i have to go back to canada. but im leaving early and will be in canada in oct. so that my status is maintained.

There is another clause which states that i maintain status if i have been working in the US for a company which is based in Canada. The company A I work for in the US is owned by a Canadian Citizen. He has another company B in Canada. Whenever I ask him is Company A also registered in Canada the answer is always no ( he is not lying). Company B is only registered in Canada. So how does he funnel the moeny in b/n A & B. and also he got an L1 recently he does not know anything about it. his lawyer got him one. How did he manage to do this if there is no connection in b/n A & B. Is there something which he does not know that I can use to maintain my PR Status without actually being in Canada ?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

The purpose of this clause is to permit PRs to work abroad temporarily for their Cdn employer.

As to his arrangement, it is quite possible that his US firm is regarded as a subsidiary or 'sister' compnay (neither would require that both co.'s be registered in canada). So, it is quite legit for him to get an L1 in such a case.

Talk to his lawyer.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
njdude26

Post by njdude26 »

nelsona wrote:As to his arrangement, it is quite possible that his US firm is regarded as a subsidiary or 'sister' compnay (neither would require that both co.'s be registered in canada). So, it is quite legit for him to get an L1 in such a case.

Talk to his lawyer.
Can I safely assume that I can use this maintain my permanent residency ?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Can I safely assume that I can use this maintain my permanent residency ?
Absolutely NOT. You have no relationship with the Cdn company at this time, and never have.

You have not been transferred to US, and you don't work for a firm which is based in canada.

You need to talk to a Cdn immigration lawyer
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D