CDN business

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

gunt76

CDN business

Post by gunt76 »

can a canadian citizen/us resident open a business in canada and sell his/her goods, through the company? I am intersted in selling arts and crafts globally. obviously I need to sell my art work to continue being an artist
gunt76

Post by gunt76 »

thank you. it seems like this isnt the way to go.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

What rhollan undoubtedly meant is that "<i>your TN-1 does not permit you to work for any other employer<b>[in the US], </b> including a foreign one, i.e. "your company". Self-employment is still employment</i>."

So, even if you formed this Cdn company, you could not work for it in the US.

If you were selling art in US, even for this fictive firm, you would still be working (as a salesman) in US for this firm. You could probaly get B1 status to do this (very iffy for sales) but it would mean having to go back to the border each time you wanted to resume your TN duties, and back to the border each time you wanted to be a salesman/artist. Border would see thru this scheme and eny you one or the other. You can't have TN and B at same time, and most POEs won't accept the juggling act.

And in any event, you could not collect payment while in US on B, you would need payment to be mailed to Canada. (Not to re-source the money, its just that collecting payemnts is not allowed under B status)

So getting back to the issue of Cdn comapny:
It wouldn't matter that the firm is Cdn or was the source of the income. It would be WORK being performed in US.

And when you were in canada, you could simply sell your art either by yourself or thru this firm, USCIS wouldn't care, its outside US.

So, the formation of a Cdn company doesn't get you anything extra on either side of the border.

This is better question for the grasmick immig board.

<i>nelsona non grata</i>
gunt76

Post by gunt76 »

Thanks Nelson. You are a great help.