Need advice

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

needadvice

Need advice

Post by needadvice »

Here is my timeline:
Indian Citizen on H1-B

1) I have been a tax resident of US for many years. Left the US in October 2018 for H1-B visa renewal in Canada and was subject to "extreme vetting".
2) Went to India from Canada. Work for a large multinational software company (1T+ Mkt Cap). They allowed me to work remotely on US payroll from home in India for a month and then I used up my vacation through the end of 2018
3) For Jan 2019, I was again given an exception to work on US payroll from my home in India till the end of Jan and then was asked to go on unpaid leave till February 10th.
4) My company then moved me to work on India payroll in the Indian subsidiary of my company (date of employment on India payroll - 11th Feb to 10th march 2019)
5) My company then moved me to work on Canadian payroll in the Canada subsidiary of my company (date of employment on Canada payroll - 11th March till date)
6) I'll be moving to the US after 11th march 2020 (to finish a year in Canada) as my visa issues have resolved and my company wants me back in the US

A few questions:
1) My US taxes were filed for CY2018 as a resident and it included taxes paid for the time when I worked from my home in India for a month. Was that correct or should I have paid the the month's work to India?
2) I assume the taxes for the vacation days would be given to US. Is this correct?
3) For CY2019, I haven't been in the US at all but had rented our home our since April 1st 2019 till Date. Will my taxes be filed a non-resident or something else?
4) Who gets the taxes for the month of January 2019?