Canadian working in USA on TN VISA - Mortgage with family in CA

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Melsawy

Canadian working in USA on TN VISA - Mortgage with family in CA

Post by Melsawy »

Hi Everyone,

I have been working in the states for 2 years on a TN visa as a Canadian. I am also single. I have been paying taxes in the states only since I know there is a tax treaty with Canada and I have no ties with Canada so I considered myself as a non-resident. I dont know own any property or stocks or make any source of income from Canada.

Last year (2019 October) my family has moved to Canada to retire (they are all Canadian citizens). They have lived most of their life abroad. When my parents moved they were still unemployed so to help them get a mortgage on a house I have added my name to their mortgage since I had proven income in north america (the current mortgage with the bank has my name, my dad and my mom). The mortgage with the bank is tied to my Dads account, I merely added my name as a co-signer I guess to improve the chances they get approved. Since my name is on the mortgage, the title of the house had to include my name too and the current split on the title is 1% myself, 99% my dad and mom). My dad is the person making the payments for the mortgage and also the property tax directly from his bank account. I also never used that house as my address and my current permanent address is in New Jersey.

Since I have a mortgage under my name in Canada does this mean now I have to pay taxes in both Canada and the states? Does this count as a tie? I tried to research online but could not reach a solid answer.
nelsona

Re: Canadian working in USA on TN VISA - Mortgage with family in CA

Post by nelsona »

No, you are still non-resident. However, did your file your departure return in 2018 0r 2017. You need to.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D