Need to have US location

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Jrosso

Need to have US location

Post by Jrosso »

I have a Canadian corporation, but some of my suppliers want me to have a US location, or they won't deal with me. I live in Canada, so I want to set up a subsidiary in a low/no-tax state like Nevada. I've been told CRA doesn't recognize LLC's, Canadians can't own S-Corps, so it looks like I have to do a Foreign Limited Liability Partnership. Does this sound right? With this scenario, I don't think there's anyway around filing a partnership return with the IRS? For a LLP, can I just apply for an EIN# or do I need an ITIN#?

If I want to use this location to apply for a L1 Visa, what type of office lease do I need? Does anyone know if these $100/m "virtual offices" qualify as a US physical presence (i.e. with a 1 year term)? Or do I actually have to lease a space? what is the minimum time for an office lease to qualify?

Thanks!