Conflict with CRA

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

canadian

Conflict with CRA

Post by canadian »

Hi everybody,

I'm needed your advices or any thoughts you might have.
Here is the situation. I'm currently in the states. Though I didn't have any income in Canada for 2005 I had to fill in Income Tax for CRA because of I was tax resident until January 18.
So I sent CRA all the documents including copy of W2, the copy of my USA tax return, and attached the check for the taxes I owned for these 18 days to Canada.
But before sending I have prepared the List of the documents that were included into envelope, notarized it and included the copy of it with my tax return together.
Well… and guess what? CRA (according to them) has received everything but my W2, Scheduler 1, and my copy of USA Tax Return!!! And they come back to me with the Notice of Assessment dropping off all my foreign tax credits to zero. This is unbelievable!
Trying to find out what is going on I have gave them a call, asking why they are doing this and the lady from their phone was just lying to me saying that they didn’t received documents that can prove my foreign tax credits!
Isn't it funny? They have received the check, and cash it out in time, but they didn’t receive my Sceduler1 with the copy of my US Tax together, that were in the same envelope!
So I tired talking with them. I faxed CRA a copy of all my documents again. But even if they told me that they let me know after they received them, they didn’t call me back. So I assume that they just ignoring my documents. It seems to me that they just keep saying that they are going to solve this problem, but they do not do anything at all.
Therefore I have a feeling that I'll not have another choice but forward my case to the court.
If you have any thoughts about this situation, or have some experience in this area I'd really appreciate if you share it with me.

Thanks.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You resent the W-2, that was important. They often misplace documents when they received them.

iwouldn'y have bothered to have anything notarized

Iwould not worry much about it. since the tax cannot be that great. It will get fixed in time.

Patience, non-resident returns are typically done very late.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D