Form TD F 90-22.1

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

LastMinuteFiler

Form TD F 90-22.1

Post by LastMinuteFiler »

I am curious as to whether anyone has had similar experiences with filing Form TD F 90-22.1 with the IRS...I went to the IRS today to submit the form so they could forward it to the Dept of Treasury per instructions on the form...The IRS people didn't seem to want to take it and only did so after I pointed out the instructions to them. Now I am worried the form will get lost in the system or end up sitting on some IRS shelf for who knows how long...While the IRS people returned to me a copy of the first page with a stamp confirming their receipt, I am wondering if i should mail another copy directly to the Dept of Treasury.

Any thoughts?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Why did you not just mail it directly. It doesn't go to the IRS, it goes to Treasury.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
LastMinuteFiler

I have an IRS office close to me and the instructions said i could take it to that office for forwarding to the Treasury Dept...I figured i could avoid a long wait at the post office to send it certified.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Send it certified!?

Envelope adressed to Detroit + 39 cents. This is not a big deal.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
LastMinuteFiler

In that case, maybe i will send another copy directly to the Dept of Treasury.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

:?
You have a recipt stamp from IRS, why do you even need to worry about it?

Little secret: Treasury does not research the content of these forms other than verify the accuracy of your neame SSN, DoB, etc, but that is it.

The penalties associated with not filing are directed towards being able to moree easily punish drug dealers and money launderers for failure to file -- which is much easier case that proving other crimes.

In other words, you need to have committed another crime before TD become intersted in whether or not you file these forms, and how accurate they are.

File, by all means, with a 1st class postage stamp, at the same time you do your 1040.
LastMinuteFiler

You are right Nelson...I do have the stamp confirming receipt and have spent too much time worrying over whether those IRS clerks will drop the ball...Next year, I will send the TD Form direct at the same time i submit my tax return.

Thanks for your advice.