Just Started TN - Wife Working in Canada

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

hoomanmoh

Just Started TN - Wife Working in Canada

Post by hoomanmoh »

As simple as my topic, my tax work is not (at least to me).
I would appreciate any comment or advise in my scenario.

Working in USA - CA - San Diego for an emplyee $80k annually started June 1, 2006.

I made $32k Since Jan06 - Jun 06 in Canada.

My wife is working in Canada. I have a 1 yr old son. We have two condos in Canada that we rented one of them.

We are thinking to totally move to US, but keep our condos and probably rent them out.

We are looking for some strategy into when is the best time for my wife to pack up and move, and how can we minimize our taxes in both US/Canada. Is it advisable to keep the condos in Canada? Do we lose our Ohip benefits?
Is reporting my US income as a SelfEmployed income to Canada a good idea? considering that I may be able to claim the flights and accommodation costs back and forth.

I am also looking for an expert accountant in this field who is not already overwhelmed or overloaded and willing to offer services.

Thanks a lot,
Hooman
hoomanmoh

Post by hoomanmoh »

I read some of the posts similar to my situation and got confused with all the form numbers and other stuff. This is too much for me to handle at this time . I am already worried about my TN to GC process. And the tax being added to it. Maybe I should just pack and go back to Canada and live hapily ever after. This is too much stress.

An expert accountant referal would be highly apreciated. Any good TN-GC lawyer referal is also appreciated. Grasmick does not respond to emails. i asked for a quote and service no response!
calvin_g

Post by calvin_g »

It's indeed a lot of stress, confusions, well not quite. not until you have to file your tax returns. you suddently start to worry about your RRSP, RESP, your properties in Canada....

You've better carefully handle your properties. Your US income would be taxable to Canada at least until your family come down here.

The US filing requirement is 10 times more complicated than CRA's. Plus you need to deal with IRS, CRA, FTB at the same time.

I am in the painful process of going through this mess right now with help from a pro.

Southern California is such a damn good place. I bet you couldn't live anywhere on earth after you spend a year here. I can recommend an account to you.

Welcome to California!
hoomanmoh wrote:I read some of the posts similar to my situation and got confused with all the form numbers and other stuff. This is too much for me to handle at this time . I am already worried about my TN to GC process. And the tax being added to it. Maybe I should just pack and go back to Canada and live hapily ever after. This is too much stress.

An expert accountant referal would be highly apreciated. Any good TN-GC lawyer referal is also appreciated. Grasmick does not respond to emails. i asked for a quote and service no response!