Visitor Visa and Taxation

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

bigcityblue

Visitor Visa and Taxation

Post by bigcityblue »

Hi There,

My wife is a US citizen and we just moved to Canada. She has a visitor visa right now. Does she have to fill out a Canadian tax return for this year if she is on this visa, or only after she attains permanent residency?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

If she spends 183 days in canad in 2006, then she will be taxable for the entire year in canada (as well as US).

If she lives in canada with you, regardless of status, she is a 'newcomer' to canada.

Bottom line you should consider her taxable in canada from the day she moved here, or the day she married you, which ever is earlier.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I would just point out that, as a visitor, she still hastto maintain a US home at all times... but I'm sure she knows this.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D