purchasing property in Can

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Russ

purchasing property in Can

Post by Russ »

In another question in this forum, I mentioned I have rental props. in Canada while a Can. non-resident / US resident (bought years ago when a CAN res / US non-res).

However, I'm considering buying a piece of land in the next couple of months while still a CAN non-res/ US res.

Let's say I buy one for $100,000K CDN on July 1/2005. If I then move back to CAN on Jan/1/2006 and become a CAN res / US non-resident, do I have to estimate the property value on Dec/31/2005 to determine any value while a non-resident?

Also, if I buy the property, I assume on title it'll have my name / address in the US and therefore, when I become a CAN resident / US non-resident later, do I have to change the title in some way?

Thx. again I'm not sure about buying while a US res / CAN non-res.

Russ
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Because this is a piece of land, its use does not change when you return to canada, thus there is no need for a valuation on arrival, unless you intend to build your home before or soon after you move back.

The only times you need an evaluation on a Cdn property would be if:
(a) it was your principal residence when you left and you are keeping it, or
(B) you had the property and are, when entering canada, making it your principal residence.

I doubt that it will have any strings on the title.

If you do get a mortgage, expect to pay 10% more (eg. 5.5% instead of 5.0%) on interest to cover the IRS tax that the Cdn bank must withhold and pay.

<i>nelsona non grata</i>
Russ

Post by Russ »

Thx. again Nelson.

Actually it'll be a cash deal so nice not to have to worry about the mortgage / tax issue on this one.

Russ